International Student Internship Process
For international Students, an internship is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Students wishing to apply for CPT must complete the following, in addition to the traditional internship process.
1. Student has been enrolled for at least one academic year (eight months) and has legal status.
2. The internship must be part of the student's major (application of curriculum being taught in the classroom).
3. Student must obtain a letter from the prospective employer (see slide8-9 of the PowerPoint below) that includes the following:
- The firm/organization/company name and contact information. It is sufficient for this information to be provided on the letterhead
- Letter date
- Part (less than 20 hrs/week) vs full-time (more than 20 hrs/week) Full-time is only permitted during the student's vacation.
- Beginning date (must be in the future) and ending date.
- Description of the internship and detailed outline of the job responsibilities.
- Employer signature on letterhead.
4. Student should bring the prospective employer letter to the Department Internship Coordinator to obtain a completed Coordinator Certification
5. Complete the Internship Registration and Management System (IRAMS) application that is found at the top of the Experiential Learning and Internships page. Once your application has been approved by your coordinator and by the Internship Office you will be able to register for your internship class through Route Y.
6. Enroll in the appropriate internship course for credit.
7. At least 5 days prior to the beginning date of the training, complete and submit to International Student Services a Curricular Practical Training Request along with the following:
- Letter from prospective employer
- CPT Coordinator Certification
8. International Student Services will review your request; if it is approved, you must go to the International Student Services office in 1351 WSC to pick up your new authorizing Form I-20 before you may begin your training.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services office: 1352 WSC, (801) 422-2695, firstname.lastname@example.org