Getting Internship Credit
Internship Process in a Nutshell
- Fulfill all academic pre-requisites for your major. If you don't know the pre-requisites for your major, contact your department internship coordinator. (If you are an open major, contact the Exploratory Internship Coordinator, Jeff Buell.)
- Secure an internship for yourself (this process is similar to obtaining a job: you must find, apply and receive an offer). Please view our page for additional assistance in locating an internship. department internship coordinators may have a list of internship opportunities as well. Most students locate internships through their department's internship office or on their own by pursuing a course of action similar to that of a job search.
- Once you have secured an internship you are responsible for contacting your department internship coordinator to receive approval to receive credit for your internship. If you don't know who this is, look under your department's information on the Department Internship Coordinator List.
- Complete the online Internship Application on the Experiential Learning & Internship homepage by clicking the link to the "Student Application" under the IRAMS heading. The application can also be accessed by clicking here. If a current Internship Master Agreement does not exist between BYU and the internship provider, you need to have the internship provider complete an Internship Master Agreement. To determine if the university has a signed Master Internship Agreement on file, open the current Internship Master Agreement Database. Once your application has been approved by your coordinator and by the Office of Experiential Learning, you will be able to register for your internship class through MyMap.
- The department internship coordinator will then lead you through the rest of the internship process: forms, registration, and applicable coursework. As you finish the internship, you may be required to complete an exit survey about the experience. To obtain credit, you must abide by the expectations outlined in your department's course syllabus. Additionally, you must enroll in the desired internship course before you may begin counting your internship hours towards the required internship course requirements.
Student Credit Flowchart